How A Total Stranger Helped Me Out

Today I want to share a personal experience, that left me lost for words. It’s many years ago that this happened but I still think about it with gratitude


But before I get into how a stranger helped me out, I want to take this opportunity and thank Mr. Anthony for creating this space, so we can share our stories, and maybe encourage, inspire or even empower someone out there who has lost hope in humanity or in life.


Hi, My name is Rose, I was born and raised in a small village close to a town called Nakuru in a country called Kenya which is located in the Eastern part of Africa.

The story of how a stranger, a total stranger helped me out starts with me deciding that it’s time for me to find a job and help my grandmother out, who raised me.


I had tried to find a job in two different places and both times I was rejected, so I went to the third one thinking, well, I will apply but I will probably get rejected just like the two previous times, see, rejection to me was not something new, even at that young age of just 20 years I Knew that my future didn’t hold much success, and this was caused by countless incidents that left me feeling rejected.


Rejection Was Not New To Me

But that is a story for another day. Anyway, when I went to check on my third job application, I was shocked to find out that I had been accepted. I was very happy but also worried. See, the town where the job was located, is far from my village and I did not have a way of commuting to the job.


I knew all this even before I applied but it was a case of, let me see if I will get the job, and then we will cross the other bridge when we get there. Well, we were there now and I didn’t know how I was going to cross.


Then I remembered a relative who lived in the town and decided to ask her if I can stay at their place for maybe just a month then when I get paid at the new job, and I will make other arrangements. Well, she gave me all kinds of reasons why it was impossible for me to stay at her place, this is despite the fact that she had a big house and plenty of room.


I felt really bad because there was no reason for her to refuse to give me a place to stay, just for a month. After speaking to my grandmother about the issue, she told me that she will try to get me some money so I can take a bus every day and go to the job.


She tried for a week but then she couldn’t find any more money for me. So the last day I went to the job and my plan was to ask the manager if he can hold the job for me until I can find a place to stay. He said there are many people looking for jobs and so if I was not interested in working, he is going to find someone who is interested.


I came out of his office with tears rolling down my face, I couldn’t believe how unlucky I was, then there she was, I didn’t know her name but she came close to me and asked me what the problem was. I looked at her and I thought to myself should I burden this stranger with my problems? I told her it’s just life that is being super unfair to me. She told me well, you know what they say a problem shared is a problem solved.


Could I Burden A Total Stranger With My Problems?

I looked at her and told her "I really don’t want to burden you with my problems," To this, she replied, "Hey, suit yourself but just know that if you don’t share, no one will know what you are going through and that means no one will be able to help you even if they could."


Well, I decided to tell her what was happening, I told her how I got this job just a week ago and now I am about to lose it because my relative won’t let me stay at her house and my grandmother can’t afford to pay for my bus transport for me to come to the job. To this, she just laughed and I regretted sharing my predicament with her. I was furious, I said "So you just wanted me to share so you can laugh at me?" She replied, "No sister, you misunderstand my laugh, I laugh because you were so eager to hide your problems, yet I can solve them for you."



What She Said Shocked Me I Couldn’t Believe It

I was shocked, I continued. "What do you mean, and by the way, what is your name?" She replied "My name is Selina." I told her, "Mine is Rose." She said "You will stay at my place until you can set yourself up." I asked her "Are you sure?" She said, "Of course, I am sure." So I moved into her house, and she was absolutely nothing but nice and generous to me. When we got paid at the end of the month I told her that I am going to look for a small room so I can move out of her place, she told me to stay one more month so I can be able to buy all the things I need. So I stayed at her house for two months, and she won’t let me pay for anything, after two months I was able to comfortably move out of her place and she even gave me some items from her house. As time went by I was able to show her my gratitude but I don’t think I can ever do enough to thank Selina for what she did for me.



Conclusion

When my own relative rejected me, she took me in, and she didn’t know me, I was not even from her tribe. In my country division among tribes is real, and there are people who harbor hatred toward other people just based on the fact that they are of a different tribe. So the fact that Selina took me in and treated with kindness, means even more to me given the fact that I am not from her tribe, and she didn’t even know me but she helped me anyway. There are Angels walking the earth in form of humans. If you ever have a chance of helping someone out please do so and don’t expect anything in return. Thank you for your time, and for reading my story.


Rose.


Rose is a blogger at
Twitter profile roseworkinpj

Comments

Facebook comments below.

Popular posts from this blog